The Operators’ Award Television Drama category
This award recognises work that best represents the craft and artistic skills of an ‘A’ Camera Operator in a TV Drama production with its first British television transmission between 1st January and 10th November 2019.
This is an opportunity to nominate your own work, or that of a colleague or friend.
Submissions of outstanding work by any lead camera operator, are welcome from all qualifying members of the: ACO – all members and patrons; BSC – full, associate and honorary; GBCT – all members and patrons.
The nominated camera operator must be informed and invited to submit a completed application form, with the necessary information and Vimeo link.
We have prepared a generic letter, which you are welcome to use to request a suitable Vimeo clip from any production company. Click here to download sample letter.
Submissions will be open from: 18th November to 22nd December 2019.
All qualifying members from the three societies will be asked to screen the submissions online at www.theoperatosaward.com, between 28th December 2019 and 19th January 2020 and will be able to nominate up to two productions.
The three nominees with the highest count will constitute the nominations.
In the second half of January into early February 2020, a jury from the Awards Committee and/or from the qualifying membership will decide on a winner from the list of nominations.
The award will be presented at the BSC Awards Night on 15th February 2020.
Voting procedures will be overseen by an independent organisation.
To apply, please complete the application form and do not forget to include your Vimeo link.
There is no entry fee.
- Open to all television dramas that have had their first transmission on British Television, terrestrial, cable or satellite, Netflix or other Internet channels during the qualifying period of 1st January to 10th November 2019. Please note, the drama can have been broadcast earlier overseas but to qualify it must have beenfirst transmitted on British TV or have its first transmission on Netflix or other Internet channels in the UK during the qualifying period.
- To qualify it must be a single drama, or a longer drama production/mini-series with a single theme and storyline or an episode of a regular drama series.
- The applicant must carry ’A’ Camera Operator credit for their entry OR where an ‘A Camera Operator’ feels a joint application with other operators is appropriate, their names can be listed on the application too.
- In the rare event that the applicant can give a substantial reason for multiple camera operators to be considered for the same production, the Awards Administration Team will take a view and if it deems there to be a case for consideration, a vote will be called of the Operators Award Committee.
In the case that more than one name is submitted, the name of the applicant must be the lead “A” Camera Operator.
- There will only be one winner. (Unless extraordinary circumstances exist. I.e. multiple entries for same production).
- ‘A’ Camera Operators worldwide are eligible to enter, provided the above criteria are met.
- The applicants may summit only one production per year for entry.
Applicants must complete an application form, with a link to a ten-minute excerpt from the chosen drama uploaded to Vimeo (you may need to create a free account).
The ten-minute selection may be a continuous excerpt of the entered drama, or a series of excerpts from the same work, each being no less than 30 seconds in duration. Complete scenes need not be shown, but excerpts must not be edited to alter the original sequence of shots or scene order. Excerpt(s) must carry the original sound track only.
The uploaded entry must carry a front title card of five-seconds’ duration with the name of the production, episode number if relevant, and full name of the ’A’ Camera Operator (this is not counted in the 10-minute limit). The same information may also be included in the name of the uploaded file.
The video should be uploaded to Vimeo as an H264 Quicktime file, 25 fps constant frame rate, 720p HD (1280 x 720 px) at a bit rate of 5,000 and no more than 10,000kbit/s. Audio should be AAC at 320 kbit/s. See http://vimeo.zendesk.com for more info.
Please note: members uploading material should test run the Vimeo link to make sure the password is working, that the clip looks as they want and that the download option is ticked. All videos must be viewable until mid-February 2020 for judging purposes.